More Compendium work

Rather annoyingly, the show we were going to see this afternoon was cancelled due to (as the lady put it) the cast probably outnumbering the audience. (Evidently no-one goes to shows on Mondays in Branson – to be fair, I’ve gigged in front of the proverbial three men and a dog, and it’s no fun).

On the good side, this did mean I got the club’s advert for Miniature Wargames done, as well as completing another Raid scenario for Dux Brit.

These are actually harder, even before playtesting, than you think: there’s quite a bit of work in making sure the setup instructions and special rules survive contact with people who don’t read minds. However, I think this one is done, and should be ready for playtest if I can get an evening or two of Mr. Hawes’ time sometime once I’m back off holiday.

Trouble T’Mill

Compendium update

The internet here is pretty dreadful, and I may have abused it just a little today trying to get cricket World Cup updates – for twenty glorious minutes during the NZ innings we got Test Match Special, for no adequately explained reason, then it was back to force-reloading the commentary page on the BBC website.

Did manage to get some work done on the Dux Compendium, iincluding some notes on the two outstanding raid scenarios, which I will type up tomorrow, and a proofing pass. (These I tend to do when I’ve been away for a few days from the document, as fresh eyes invariably spot things – today particularly I found a bunch of places where the existing new raid scenarios had unclear setup instructions in the ‘I know what I meant, but with hindsight not everyone else will’ manner.)

Trouble T’Mill

On the Workbench: Trees

The size of the Battle of Grissburg in my room was such that it was rather cramped at my painting table. That, combined with allocating time playing the battle, meant that painting and modelling has been restricted over the past month. I did though manage to complete a couple more 2mm Napoleonic bases and some 6mm for my WW2 campaign. 
On the terrain front, aside from continuing to update my river sections, I felt something had to be done with my collection of trees. These are all the cheap variety from China which had been hastily based to get them on the table. Some are reasonable enough but others are pretty dire. The motivation to do something to improve them began with my pine trees which had been used on the Grissburg board. I avoided including them in my early photos as I had already decided to do something with them. They were caught in the distance in one shot –
I apologise for the out of focus shot but you get the picture. They have also featured on previous ‘On the Workbench’ posts.
They are rather spindly affairs and once on the wargames board it was obvious that they would have to be replaced or modified in some way. A look around ebay and various online model shops revealed very nice but very expensive pine trees primarily for model railways.
Continued – 

I had a jar of dark green flock which had been gathering dust for several years. ‘Looks like could be good for pine trees’, I thought and a test tree was modified. Eureka! Job done!
The tree on the left is how they came from China. Dark green paint was used to touch up some of the branches which had white showing through. The plastic base is removed with the tree being rebased using a 1p coin. Once the base is finished I then covered the tree in PVA glue and flock added. When dry I used an eye-dropper to drop heavily diluted PVA glue mixed with a small amount of washing up liquid onto the top of the tree ensuring all branches got a good soaking. The whole thing is given a spray coat of matt varnish to further reduce the risk of any flock shedding. 

These are the finished trees that ended up on the Grissburg board. A huge improvement and a massive saving on buying something similar from a model shop.
Next came my deciduous trees –
I intended to improve the shape and bulk of the trees and also to mask the base. Starting with some of  the worst trees, I gently teased out the branches a little more and added clump foliage. The two trees on the left I started work on today (I work on batches of 5 at a time). The foliage is added gradually building up the shape of the tree. Once complete, various foliage is added to the base. As with the pine trees they are finished with a coat of matt varnish. 

 A before and after wood with the same number of trees in each. I am still experimenting with various shades to add variety. With my river upgrade almost complete this will definitely be next in line. Its the sort of thing you can do alongside painting figures or other projects. It only takes a few minutes to glue on some foliage and then 2 or 3 hours later adding a little more until completion.

Bleasdale’s Grymauch Blog

Review: The Army Painter Hobby Tool Kit (2019)

Today we take a look at The Army Painter's Hobby Tool Kit, a great value box to start or expand your tool collection. Included are a diamond pattern file, a hobby knife, a drill with 3 drill bits of various diameters, a side cutter, a sculpting tool, two pieces of green stuff and a bottle of super glue. All for a competitive price point of 24,99 Euro. Let's see if it's a good deal or not.
More after the jumpTale of Painters

WE ROCK. WE ROLL SIXES. WE WARGAME. WE NEVER LOSE.

Spring naar toolbar