Battle Mat (III) X-Wing Death Star

(Repost. Origineel: Timbo / Timbo’s creations)

Death Star Trench for X-Wing Miniature game

Recently my father gave me the X-Wing Miniature game, and I must admit, it’s pretty fun.  But playing the game on the floor or my dining room table, complete with yellow, red and green table cloth isn’t all that great.  So I decided to make a game mat that looks like…
THE DEATH STAR TRENCH!
After doing a search online, I found that other people have made the same thing.
So, I think I will make one of my own.  To start I made a template in SketchUp for a game mat that will fit on my dining room table.  This mat will be made out of insulation foam.
Next I went back online and found various Death Star surface textures such as the ones seen below.
I copied the textures and printed out sheets of it on card stock.
I printed enough to fit the length and width of my dining room table.  I can always print more later if I need to.
Next, I went out and bought the insulation foam.
Then I began cutting it to fit the dimensions I laid out in SketchUp.
After a bit of cutting, toothpicks and some hot glue, I had my surface.
Then I continued cutting and gluing until I had the shape I wanted for the game board.
Next, I applied some double sided tape to my print outs and began cutting them out and adhering them to the surface.
After a few hours I had my surface completely covered.
At this point I took out the playing pieces and making sure the scale was somewhat accurate.
But the game board is not complete yet.  Next I had to make some elements – namely the exhaust port and some laser towers.  I used some reference images online to make these.
I made a turbo laser in SketchUp to 3D print, however I do not have enough filament to print them – so those will have to wait.
Instead I started on the exhaust port.  I printed the exhaust port from photos found online.  I adhered them to some leftover foam and glued it to the trench.
Then I added some black spray paint to dirty up the trench a little.
Next I wanted to add more elements since the trench was looking a bit flat.  I took some leftover prints of the surface  adhered them to cardboard boxes I had, since at the moment I did not have any normal cardboard to use.
I cut them out into smaller pieces…
…and began gluing them randomly to the trench surface.
Next I made some more features, this time out of folder card stock.
I then glued them to the whole piece.
At this point the trench is not yet complete, but it’s far enough along for me to try out a game or two with it.
So, when my filament finally arrived, I started to 3D print a turbo laser.
I think the scale is accurate for the playing pieces, but it looks awfully big on the game board.
So I made some smaller Turbo Lasers for the sake of the game board.  Also, my turbo laser above took over 6 hours to print, so smaller ones will probably take less time.
Next I began cleaning up my prints with files and my X-acto knife.
And then began applying many layers of primer.
When the primer dried I glued barrels to the turrets.
And then I painted them.
Once the paint dried, I placed them on my playing board.
And they look awesome!!!
I think I will make more Laser cannons in the future.  For now, 2 is good.
For the last step I made some playing cards for the Death Star Cannon towers and the exhaust port.
Another fun project complete for now.  Thanks for reading!

WE ROCK. WE ROLL SIXES. WE WARGAME. WE NEVER LOSE.

Spring naar toolbar