Amsterdam6shooters Forum

Blücher BUA rules

Dit onderwerp bevat 1 reactie, heeft 1 stem, en is het laatst gewijzigd door  JurjenB 2 maanden, 2 weken geleden.

2 berichten aan het bekijken - 1 tot 2 (van in totaal 2)
  • Auteur

From the Facebook forum:
    a few confirmatory questions if I may.

1. If a unit is inside a BUA it’s considered difficult terrain and is unable to fire.
    2. If this unit then goes prepared it is garrisoned and may fire. This fire is always skirmish fire regardless of distance.
    3. In both cases the BUA may not be fired upon with small arms volley or skirmish fire and must be assaulted.
    4. The BUA May be targeted by artillery in which case the artillery count it as cover and is penalised.

Our struggle here is with understanding cover, garrisons and difficult terrain.

one final question if two units meet inside a wood which is difficult terrain they cannot fire on each other so must enter close combat, correct?

Answer:

I can only assume that you were using ‘Blucher’ rules. As such, there are some basic understandings regarding BUA.
    (1) A BUA is cover, not difficult terrain. (under Garrison definition pp 67) When it is a garrison, the infantry unit is no longer considered to be in difficult terrain. Although the garrison is prepared, enemy artillery do not receive the bonus for firing against prepared units when shooting at a garrison.
    (2) There is no penalty regarding shooting from a garrison. Therefore a garrison (including skirmishers as they are now part of the garrison) may fire as per normal.
    (3)Correct. A unit attacking into an urban base always incurs the -1 penalty for the attacker for difficult terrain. The defending garrison also receives a +2 modifier in combat when attacked by enemy infantry. Needless to say, garrisons are very difficult to dislodge!(pp67)
    (4)Correct. Artillery fire at the unit that is in cover. Use more guns. I believe the French Grand Battery had 80 something guns. A couple of rounds of fire would hurt them then hit them with a couple of brigades of infantry, not just one.
    To understand what cover and disordering terrain is for towns, it is fairly simple. If the footprint of the unit is entirely within a town, the following turn, the unit becomes ‘garrisoned’ and now has cover. If any part of its footprint is outside a town, in it in difficult terrain. An example is that while troops are clambering over walls and fighting in buildings (disordering terrain), they have not had the chance to get into some sort of fortified position. By the following turn, the unit would have prepared its defences and uses the buildings and walls as ‘cover’.
    Garrison
    An infantry unit may garrison an urban base. In order to do so, its footprint must be entirely in that base (i.e. with no portion of the unit outside the base). The active player must activate the infantry unit and mark it with a prepared marker. In other words: a prepared infantry unit in an urban base is called a garrison. When it is a garrison, the infantry unit is no longer considered to be in difficult terrain. (pp67)
    In Woods, realistically, a unit count not generate sufficient casualties while in a forest by just shooting. You have to manhandle them out!
    I hope this helps.

More from FB about this subject:

Hi guys, we are back to playing Blucher again after a break of a few months. In our recent games it seems pretty easy to clear a garrison out of an Urban Area if you can move 2 infantry units to attack the one Garrison unit. Are we right in allowing 2 units, maybe more, to charge a single Garrison unit as along as all other requirements of charging are met?

Richard Heath

I can’t see why not. Remember each attacker will have -1 for difficult terrain. Defender +2 for garrison and no flanks. It might take a couple of turns to push it out. Also remember that centre point of each attacker must point at defender. This can make it difficult for two frontal attackers to contact legally.

• Deze reactie is gewijzigd 2 maanden, 2 weken geleden door  JurjenB.
2 berichten aan het bekijken - 1 tot 2 (van in totaal 2)

Je moet ingelogd zijn om een reactie op dit onderwerp te kunnen geven.

WE ROCK. WE ROLL SIXES. WE WARGAME. WE NEVER LOSE.

Spring naar toolbar